Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Games In the Classroom

One of my favorite parts of being a teacher is when I finish a class and my students say, "I love your classes. They're always so fun". Learning a new language can be so scary, tiring, and intimidating, and it can be a lot easier through games. 
In one of my last lessons, I had students review places in town in order to practice transition and sequence sentences. 

They were divided into groups and encouraged to work as a team to race to name as many of the locations as they could. Being a group effort, the students supported one another, and it allowed quiet students to get involved. 


The next skill we worked on was speaking, and although all of their sentences may not be grammatically correct- I have the opinion that just practicing and having the time to speak is necessary. I've learned through my own Portuguese immersion and learning that: practicing using vocab and verbs through conversation is very helpful. Having the opportunity to try and work through the usage, with a group of other learners, can be reciprocally beneficial to the students as they learn and help others learn. 


In one of the games, students needed to create a character that would then go on a journey. They needed to use connector and sequence words, but also link their journey throughout the turns. We used USA coins for a heads= 1 move and tails= 2 moves, and it was also an opportunity to show them the difference in our country's money. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Presenting At ConectaIFB, Diplomatic Meeting, and EdUSA Fair

Such a big and tiring day. Amanda (my co-worker) and I met up with professor Fabricio at the metro station at 9 am, and because of traffic w...