Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Documenting the May 15th National Greve

On May 15th, teachers, professors, and students across Brasil took to the streets to protest the educational budget cuts from the government. This announcement shows a partial list of protests, which only includes larger cities. 


The meeting place for the protest in Brasil Museu Nacional, but by 12 pm everyone had moved towards the Congress. 


There was a car with people and speakers set up. Speakers took turns giving announcements. 


Included here is the famous phrase that has blown up the last few weeks- "balburdia". 



People took this protest in a manner of ways and expressed them with signs galore. Spread along the ground was a huge banner about the blocking of funds and students against the cuts. 





As the protest was coming to a close, we walked from the Congressional building to the bus terminal. The crowd of protesters walked in front of and followed the car with speakers on top. 


The protest was very peaceful, and I didn't see an ounce of violence occur. It was also much more organized than I had expected, with the speakers revolving in their talks and having a planned order. 



My IFB family of professors and students were there supporting our university. All Federal and Public Universities are set to receive a 30%+ cut, which will cause a huge negative impact on the students attending. 



So indeed, teachers do just wanna have funds. 



Please excuse my awkward stance, but yes- I am rocking my roommate's hat that says her name. I didn't get any sunburn though!


Grateful for the professors who also love their jobs and students, and ventured to this protest with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presenting At ConectaIFB, Diplomatic Meeting, and EdUSA Fair

Such a big and tiring day. Amanda (my co-worker) and I met up with professor Fabricio at the metro station at 9 am, and because of traffic w...