Monday, May 6, 2019

Dia do Trabalhador 10 km Race

I ran in my first race in over a year! Last year, in Londrina, I ran a 10 km race and injured my knee. It has been a slow road to recovery, and I participated in my first Brasilia race. 


The race took place at the Esplanada dos Ministerios and began by the National Museum. The train didn't begin running until 7 am, because of the holiday, and I needed to be there by the start of the 7 am race- thus I took an uber.  


I got there by 6:30 and had time to stretch and wander around. 


The sunrise by the government buildings and cathedral was beautiful!





By 6:45 am it started to fill up more. 


By 7 am I was waiting by the start line for the race to begin. 


The race was filled with people doing a 5k, 10k, and 21 k race!

The race course began by the National Museum, looped down the Esplanada and back up, through a part of Asa Norte and looped on that same road, and then finished at the same start location.


And... we're off! Kilometers six and seven were a slight incline the whole time, and it slowed me down a lot. Around the 7 km mark, there was a woman giving high-fives, which gave me the motivation I needed. 

The last kilometer of the race had lots of photographers, which was really good motivation! I saw that as I was nearing the time was still under an hour, and I picked up my speed. My original goal was to finish in under 70 minutes, and instead I finished in under an hour!


Sweaty, but successful. 




Even though they put me into the wrong age group, it still wasn't too bad. I'm excited to sign up for another. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Presenting At ConectaIFB, Diplomatic Meeting, and EdUSA Fair

Such a big and tiring day. Amanda (my co-worker) and I met up with professor Fabricio at the metro station at 9 am, and because of traffic w...