Friday, March 1, 2019

First Week At IFB Complete

This week included two days on campus meeting professors, students, and directors. It's a very small campus, only including three course majors (Letras Ingles, Geography, and Gastronomy). In only this week I have met a majority of the staff, and also had lunch with several of them. The professors have all been very kind and helpful in suggesting stores and housing options. We popped into a few of the classes to introduce ourselves to the students, and it was wonderful to see many of them smiling and excited to see us.
We started hashing out some of the scheduling quirks and our responsibilities, and it sounds like we will be working a mix of conversation clubs, cultural activities, and assisting in classes. The university that I'm assisting at is also a high school in the morning, and I excited by the hopeful prospect to also work with and inspire high school students.
Last year, I arrived in Brasil with no Portuguese. I depended on everyone speaking Portuguese to accommodate that, but this year I have been able to keep up with a majority of conversations in Portuguese. Most people have been very patient with my language learning. I still hope that my classes I assist are in English.
Our first day we were surprised with a packet of materials, an IFB shirt and mug, and space in a locker. I couldn't stop smiling. It was a wonderful surprise, and there kindness was more than I ever expected (especially from my host program managers).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presenting At ConectaIFB, Diplomatic Meeting, and EdUSA Fair

Such a big and tiring day. Amanda (my co-worker) and I met up with professor Fabricio at the metro station at 9 am, and because of traffic w...