Monday, February 25, 2019

Game Night In Portuguese

I arrived in Brasilia 4 days ago, and I lucked out to have an amazing Airbnb host. Today we got to share different music taste and pictures with one another, and sharing music is one of my favorite things to do. I always love finding new artists. Then at night when he asked me to go to a board game night, and I was very hesitant. Thinking about learning games and talking in Portuguese for the next 4 hours was a bit nerve-wracking. I had to make a quick decision, and before I realized it I was already getting changed to go to the event.
We made our way over to the bottom of an apartment building, which is used weekly for their game night. Seeing as I'm a nerd and I was also joining a group of people who love spending one of their week day nights playing games, and Brazilians are so loving, I was very hopeful and that the experience wouldn't be too intimidating. When describing the rules, I found myself not understanding it, but my roommate helped to make sure that I understood.
The game involved a lot of rocks and cards, and it took a bit of time to get accustomed to the rules. Next, we switched over to a game that was all silent, which you would think would be helpful. I can assure you that it was not. Every player was responsible in the cooperative game and had to be involved in the movement of pieces. The goal was to get the four pieces to their portals and then to exit the building through a shopping mall. It was a bit rushed, but we all got through it and I didn't do too badly.
The final game was called Ticket to Ride, which my USA friends had almost taught me to play and that would have been very helpful so it would have been one last game to learn in Portuguese. That being said, it was pretty easy to pick up on. I came in a close second place to my roommate, which I'm pretty proud about.
I got to meet some really intruiging people, including many who spoke at least a little bit of English. One man I met was on Tv for balancing on two skateboards (simultaneously and one for each foot) while solving a rubix cube in one hand.... In under 30 seconds. I saw the video evidence. Gente, what a legend. It was incredible to watch.
Im so grateful for my airbnb roommate inviting me to the event and being patient as I tried to understand everything in Portuguese. Brasilians really do have some of the biggest hearts, and im glad that I possibly found a niche of other nerdy people to hang out with and get to know throughout my stay in Brasilia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presenting At ConectaIFB, Diplomatic Meeting, and EdUSA Fair

Such a big and tiring day. Amanda (my co-worker) and I met up with professor Fabricio at the metro station at 9 am, and because of traffic w...