Thursday, March 7, 2019

Finding My Brasília Home

Finding housing was a much more exhuasting process than I had anticipated. Although it only took me a week to find my housing, it felt like a much longer week filled with daily searching through neighborhoods for any vacancies. We traveled through Riacho Fundo, Samambia, Tanguatinga Sul, and Aguas Claras. 
Brasilia has several facebook groups for sharing, renting, and buying things/places. I checked perpetually, and by luck I stumbled upon a chacara by Aguas Claras. A chacara is midway between a house and a farm. We have chickens and several fruit trees in our beautiful back yard. I asked the owner several questions to make sure that the house had my prime requirements- an individual bedroom, furnished room, a washer machine, it's close to markets, a safe area, and the tenants are kind. 
I didn't realize just how lucky I was with this find. They asked me to move in, and I agreed! I have a huge room with two beds, so I can have guests. I also have a bathroom to myself! That's a treat. My roommates have been amazing and so kind. We've already been on food shopping adventures, morning walks, and dinners together. 
It's the best of both worlds where I get some peace and nature at the chacara, but I'm only a four minute walk from the city. 
Please enjoy this video of a downpour yesterday, and the chickens hiding under the building cover. 






1 comment:

  1. LOVE the house pics and where you are living - that's great!

    ReplyDelete

Presenting At ConectaIFB, Diplomatic Meeting, and EdUSA Fair

Such a big and tiring day. Amanda (my co-worker) and I met up with professor Fabricio at the metro station at 9 am, and because of traffic w...