Saturday, March 30, 2019

First Workshop Success

This year I am working at a Federal Institute in Brasilia, and every Wednesday I am altering or collaborating for workshops. These workshops range from cultural to grammar or fun topics. 
My coworker and I co-organized our first workshop, which was themed- belated Saint Patrick's Day. 
We had no idea how many people would come, and we were hopeful for about 15 people, but we had 36 students come! It was wonderful to have so many people participate and be excited to speak English, but we had to adjust and re-plan on the spot. Life of a teacher. We gave information about the holiday and its celebration, played games, and gave away prizes.  
One of the professors came to visit and snapped this photo of Amanda and me beginning our information session. 

We rounded off our workshop with a- guess how many candies are in the bottle game. The reaction to the winner was much better than I expected. All of the excitement in the room sharing in the winner's joy was a touching moment. 
I'm excited to see how many students stick with the workshops and keep attending. I'm hoping to keep at least a 10 person attendance weekly, and to share topics such as- dating culture in the USA and Brasil, Easter, 4th of July, prepositions, landmarks in the USA, and classroom climate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presenting At ConectaIFB, Diplomatic Meeting, and EdUSA Fair

Such a big and tiring day. Amanda (my co-worker) and I met up with professor Fabricio at the metro station at 9 am, and because of traffic w...