Tuesday, June 25, 2019

IFB Festa Junina

Festa Junina at IFB, a long awaited event that I had been excited for! I didn't want to be the very first ones to the event, so I met up with Rogerio at the metro station and we got to the university around 6 pm. Even with being an hour late it was still empty, which is very typical Brasilian culture. Finally, people started coming around 7 or 8 pm.
There were so many stands for food with- Canjica, pastel, batata frita, arroz baiao de 4, pipoca, churrasco, and quentao. I ate a hot dog, the baiao de 4 (which was super weird and had mystery meats and I didn’t enjoy it), and quentao (which is like spiked tea or wine).
I danced a lot of forro with my friends, and we even added in some side steps, turning, and spins. Not to brag, but I got some compliments. I just enjoy forro a lot! I really hoped that there would be a quadrila dance, but there wasn’t.
I cheered on my friends who were invited to compete for the title of Queen and King of the Corn.  They needed to show their moves and dance/process around the circle. The crowd cheered them on for voting. One of my friends, Guilherme, did win the title!
We missed out on bingo, but I got to see some of my student friends and meet their friends as well. By the time I left, it was pretty packed and all of the booths had lines.
Rogerio and I went to take a bus home, but after 30 minutes of waiting and no buses passing by we took an uber. Wemerson also joined us on the adventure, and eventually veered off to take the metro.

Some of my students got very festive with some traditional outfits

Hanging out with Rogerio


Snapped a photo with a student and my host program manager

King of the Corn, Guilherme

King and Queen of the Corn competition



A very bustling IFB full of life and celebration for the event 

Quentao

Baiao de Quatro



No comments:

Post a Comment

Presenting At ConectaIFB, Diplomatic Meeting, and EdUSA Fair

Such a big and tiring day. Amanda (my co-worker) and I met up with professor Fabricio at the metro station at 9 am, and because of traffic w...