Wednesday, March 7, 2018

I made it safely to Sao Paulo!


Arriving in the Sao Paulo airport tested my anxiety levels, but I was so glad to have made a friend on the plane ride. My new friend Mat, a native Brazilian living in Toronto the last few years, saved me when we agreed to share an uber to Sao Paulo Centro. I could not get internet in the airport (a nightmare for a person without a cellphone plan)! He chatted with the uber driver during the hour drive, and it was silent after Jake left the car.

I arrived at Vila Madalena, and I was greeted by Jake, a Fulbright friend who I have been creating travel plans with since January. After showering, and feeling more like a human again, we explored the city on foot! Of course we grabbed some fruit and wine for our adventure, which we enjoyed while resting at sunset park overlooking the city. We also visited Beco de Batman, a graffiti street that I related to Hosier street in Australia. For Jake, the coffeholic, we stopped at Coffee Lab and I tried a Cafe com cachaca, which has a bit of alcohol like an irish coffee. Jake had arrived a day earlier, so he knew the city pretty well, and he was a great sight seeing buddy. That night, the adventures continued and we went to a block party in Pinheiros, and my phrase “nao falo Portuguese” was constantly used. That first day was cram packed with sights and people, the Vila Madalena suburb continues to be one of the favorite locations I’ve been so far.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Presenting At ConectaIFB, Diplomatic Meeting, and EdUSA Fair

Such a big and tiring day. Amanda (my co-worker) and I met up with professor Fabricio at the metro station at 9 am, and because of traffic w...