Sunday, February 18, 2018

5, 4, 3, 2, 1..... Count Down Continues

I'm down to one hand’s worth of days in my countdown! The nerves and excitement are building. I still need to compile everything into my bags, and make sure that it's going to fit the weight requirements. When I first get to Brazil, and before orientation begins, I'm traveling to Ilhabela for some sights, beaches, and hiking. I also am so grateful to be adventuring with a fellow Fulbrighter, who has better Portuguese skills, and explore a beautiful island. Evidently Sao Paulo is consistently a rainy state, which is probably equivalent to the humid rainy showers in Florida, but I'm hoping there will be sunshine for my week there.

So far, I've said goodbye to everyone except for my mother and step dad. One of the worst parts about leaving long term to go abroad, other than missing the food, is leaving your family. It was so hard to hug them and say goodbye, especially knowing that I won't be home for the next major holiday. Like I said- it's a mix of nervousness for leaving what I know and excitement to experience something new.

Lastly, I want to give a huge shout out to someone who has major this experience less scary- Mario. I think I only met you once when we studied together in New Zealand, but I'm so incredibly grateful to have met you and that you've been helping me. Between Skype sessions practicing my Portuguese and assisting me to find an apartment, I appreciate all of the time and kindness that you have shown me. I can't wait to be your neighbor down the street!

Here come the last minute planning sessions for my pre-orientation travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presenting At ConectaIFB, Diplomatic Meeting, and EdUSA Fair

Such a big and tiring day. Amanda (my co-worker) and I met up with professor Fabricio at the metro station at 9 am, and because of traffic w...