Monday, May 6, 2019

Baiano Wedding

If you've ever heard that Brasilians have some of the biggest hearts, then you heard correct!

My co-worker Amanda moved in with a group of Brasilian girls about our age, and they all are from a mixture of Brasilian states- Bahia and Maranhao. Since I met them, they have been very welcoming and kind. They invited me to one of their birthday celebrations after only meeting them once. 

Then, one invited me to her Cha de Lingerie- a Bachelorette Party/ Bridal Shower. While there, the whole family and collection of friends asked why I wasn't going to the wedding. The soon-to-be bride's mother was full of laughter and enthusiasm and insisted that I come! Well... I went to the bus terminal to buy my ticket, lent a dress and heels from one of the roommates, and within 5 days I was off to Bahia for the wedding!

The girls found out that I could sew, so here are some last minute seamstress details on a dress. 


Brasilians go full out with their attire for weddings, so here are Amanda and me in the church waiting for the ceremony to begin. 


I'm not going to lie, I felt really beautiful in the floor-length red dress. It was a little showy for my taste, but absolutely gorgeous. 


Leane was an absolutely princess. It was a half mass ceremony, which I was grateful for since I didn't understand the chants and repetitions in Portuguese. I got choked up when the groom started quase crying during his vows. 


We captured some photos by the cake, but with an iphone- so I can't wait to see the professional ones. 


My table of friends elected me to take a lot of the selfies. What an amazing crew of new friends. <3


We danced a bit of forro and quadrilo, ate lots of salgadinhos, drank the open bar beer, and had lots of laughs. One of the favorite moments of the night was when Marlow, Raissa's brother, convinced me that the cup of liquid was for dipping the empanada in. To his defense, it was served as a small shot sized cup with liquid and an empanada sitting on top.... So I dipped it in. Nope- it was a juice called Caldo de Cana. 

It was a beautiful wedding a huge reception! I ended up receiving a souvenir cup and centerpiece plant. My first Brasilian wedding experience will always stay close to my heart, and I'm so grateful that I got to experience it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presenting At ConectaIFB, Diplomatic Meeting, and EdUSA Fair

Such a big and tiring day. Amanda (my co-worker) and I met up with professor Fabricio at the metro station at 9 am, and because of traffic w...