Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Congratulations Are In Order!

Not the next time that I wake up, but the following time… it will be the day that I board the plane to leave! These past five months of counting down has felt long enough to be a year.


I’ve found a common pattern in my conversations recently. It normally goes something like this:

Person: Oh! You’re going to teach in Brazil. That’s awesome. Are you teaching at a middle school?

Me: No I’ll be teaching at a university.

Person: Cool. What will you be studying?

Me: Well, I’ll be teaching English there?

Person: Wait… so you are teaching at a university?


It takes a while to finally get to the realization point. Maybe it’s the fact that I look so young. Either way, this has been a battle to convince people that YES I will be an English Teaching Assistant at a university in Brazil. Now that the hours are ticking down, I’m getting really excited!

A HUGE congratulations to the person who pushed me to continue striving for the fellowship, and who still is helping me to look into more fellowships for my masters degree. In college I never expected to find a professor that invested so much concern for my postgraduate future, let alone to call her my friend. Thank you Dr. Walton for giving so much of your time to help students apply for prestigious fellowships, and congratulations for making Salisbury University history for being recognized as a top Fulbright producer! Your hard work with hosting editing workshops every Friday, leading a Fellowships class, ripping apart essay drafts, and giving advice at all hours shows its success. For the 2017-18 year we had 13 Salisbury-ites apply and 4 get selected as finalists, and I cannot wait to see the large turnout for the 2018-19 years, especially knowing that we already have 8 semifinalists! Thank you for your continued support for the past two years.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Top-Producers-of-Fulbright/242557

In other news, todays adventure includes condensing everything that I want to bring and trying to narrow down the selection! At first, I thought that I would have so much extra space in my suitcase, but now I’m getting worried about the limit. I can’t help myself but wanting to bring lots of gifts and teaching materials!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presenting At ConectaIFB, Diplomatic Meeting, and EdUSA Fair

Such a big and tiring day. Amanda (my co-worker) and I met up with professor Fabricio at the metro station at 9 am, and because of traffic w...